Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas, is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe and can be titrated to meet the specific needs of the patient.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
advantages of Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation properties develop.
- Just as quickly as nitrous oxide begins to work, its effects subside very quickly allowing patients to leave on their own.